Sunday, December 25, 2011

Big news. BIG. BIG. News.

I'm single. There.  It's out.  For some reason, that is a label that I chose to ignore.  I guess it's because I don't want anyone to think, "What's wrong with her?"  I'll admit, I see plenty of wrong with myself - like my hair has damaged ends, my belly is pudgy, my skin is showing signs of aging, etc. - but in reality I am actually a very well-adjusted Christian woman with a pretty good grip on my emotions.  I am a great mom.  I am well-educated and have a successful career.  I am responsible with my money and own my own home. So what's wrong with me?  Why does it bother me so much to wear the single label?  God loves us singles. He does, and 1 Corinthians 7:34-35 in the Bible tells us so!  In many regards, I don't feel single because I am at a place where I feel indwelled with the Holy Spirit.  Satisfied. Whole.  The Lord satisfies me, and if He wants to keep me all to himself for the rest of my life on Earth, I am OK with that.  Really. I am.  However, I still desire someone to share my life and love with, so am open to meeting a handsome Christian manfriend too.

I guess I assume that when I tell someone that I am single, they start sizing me up and try to figure out my flaws and wonder why I am divorced in the first place. All of my insecurities (did I mention my pudgy belly) start to surface and I feel like I am completely exposed.  Sometimes I even feel this need to start defending myself.  I have been single for 5.5 years, and have gotten a lot better at this.  I usually don't mention that I am single unless I am asked.  I just blah, blah, blah like any ordinary woman about work, kids, and recipes but do not offer up the "s" word.  I am not proud that I am divorced, but not ashamed either.  I just want to been seen and treated as normal - without the single label.  I don't want to be judged or mistreated because I do not have a husband. Yes. Been there. It's a terrible feeling. 

All that being said, it's time to embrace my life without a mate and offer solutions and advice to women facing my same challenges.  I want to share with you how I fit Jesus into my life, exercise, hobbies, recipes, and other sorts of things like that.  A few years ago I even managed to squeeze in graduate school and earned my MBA with two kids and a full-time (100% commission sales) job.  I'm telling you - where there is a will, there is a way.

As single moms, we do have challenges that are unique.  I'm not perfect, but have learned some life lessons these past several years and would like to share my ideas and thoughts with you.  Want to join me?  I promise it will be fun!  I am nice.  Really. I am!  And fun too!

No comments:

Post a Comment