Monday, February 11, 2013

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

Around the first of the year I read a really cool post that included things to start doing in the New Year which included lighting a candle when we do our devotions to remind ourselves that we are the light of the world.  Lighting a candle has been a very nice addition to my daily morning quiet time with the Lord.  I will add the link to that cool post when I figure out where I found it!  Do you ever do that - read something that you want to go back and re-read and forget where you found it in the first place?

This morning, as I was reading my daily devotional in "Jesus Calling" from my sweet friend Kim from At Home With Kim, when I got to the sentence that read, "See times of darkness as opportunities for My Light to shine in transcendent splendor." - my glass votive shattered right there in front of me on my kitchen counter top.  Can you believe that?  The glass shattered, but the light kept on shining!  (The dovotional is written as if Jesus is talking to us directly.) 


 
 
 
"The Word gave life to everything that was created,
and his life brought light to everyone.
The light shines in darkness,
and the darkness can never extinguish it."
John 1: 4-5
 
 
So as it is with my life.  Sometimes circumstances around me will shatter and break, but the light of Jesus shines in "transcendent splendor" at all times and the "darkness can never extinguish it."    
 
Quite a lesson for this girl on a Monday morning!  
 
So, now I am singing my favorite church song which was probably the first song that I learned at Sunday School at the Baptist church, where my brother used to sit behind me and tie me to the chair with the bow on the back of my dress.  Everybody sing with me now.....
 
This little light of mine - I'm gonna let it shine.  This little light of mine - I'm gonna let it shine.  This little light of mine - I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!
 


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by today:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Love how the the red on the bottom of the candle reminds me of the blood of Christ & the white on top reminds me that because He shed His blood for us, He takes away our sins & makes us white as snow :) May your light continue to shine in this dark world! Blessings Jenni!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do my best to make my little light shine even when the world shatters around me (like my candle) and scares me half to death! :)

    ReplyDelete