Sunday, March 25, 2012

Getting God in my everyday

So after taking a brief inventory of what occupies my mind and conversations daily, I have come up with the following basic list: my kids, my work, using my time (to-do list), finances, running, the last time I called my mother, my Bible reading, encounters/conversations with friends/family, and stuff like that.   

Out of that list, I pray about: my kids, using my time (to-do list), finances, the last time I called my mother, my Bible reading, encounters with friends/family, and stuff like that.

Why, if my work and running are so important to me, do I leave these out of my discussions with God?  Because I think these are the things that I need to learn how to control and manage myself because God would not be interested.  He is listening to prayers for world peace, so why would he want me to come to him for direction and strength in my work and running??  It seems so trivial.   

My work: Every morning when I wake up, I lie in bed and talk to God about my day and what’s on my mind.  After about 15 minutes of this, I come downstairs and read my Bible and pray while I drink five cups of coffee (because six cups is half of a pot which is where true coffee addiction problems occur).  While I am getting ready for work, I listen to worship music and continue listening in my car on my way to work.  So from 5:30am until 8am I am totally focused on God.  Once I step out of my car and sit at my desk, I turn into “Headhunter Jenni” and tackle my challenges with my super-chick tactics and weaponry for the next 9 hours.  All. By. Myself.  It’s like I leave God in my car to wait patiently until I return at the end of my workday. I then get in my car and generally turn on worship music for my drive home.  Where was God those 9 hours while I was in the world working?  What if I said a little prayer at my desk for help in choosing my words and actions so that they resemble Christ likeness?  What if I prayed for every candidate before they went on an interview?  What if I prayed for my revenue instead of following my geeked-out spreadsheet?  What if I prayed for God to help me make specific wise business decisions?  How can my work glorify God?  

My running:  I research the right shoes, read about techniques, train according to the expert’s advice, ask other runners for advice, and set personal challenges.  I do pray while I run, but not about running.  I pray for all of those other things that I listed and talk to God about what is on my mind.  What if I prayed for a faster mile, or more miles, or better form?  “But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.. They will run and not grow weary…” (Isaiah 40:31)  How can my running glorify God?

I pray for all of that other stuff, and how through it I want to bring glory to God – but why not everything?

If God knows every hair on my head, wouldn’t it be reasonable to assume He wants to be involved in every single thing in my life that is important to me including my work and my running?  Wouldn’t He want me to talk to Him about everything like I talk to my colleagues and running buddies?

I need to start focusing on getting God involved in my everyday, boring, mundane, and typical things.

In talking to God, it will draw us closer and strengthen our relationship.  That’s what getting God in my everyday is all about!  

No comments:

Post a Comment