Thursday, January 26, 2012

Confessions from a former fat kid – Part 1 (because something tells me there will be more)


You see, I was the fat kid in school.  I was the kid that got picked last in gym class.  Actually, I didn’t even get picked.  I was last so went to the team who got stuck with me.  I’ve never had a bit of athletic talent.  Even to this day - if everyone gathered in the yard for a game of volleyball, I would not participate because I know I’m not good at it.  I would be embarrassed. Forget that!  You know what?  Next summer, if I have the opportunity, I’m going to play volleyball in the yard.  You know why?  “Because I’m nice, and doggone it, I deserve it.” (A little Stuart Smalley SNL there for one of my readers.)  If anyone laughs at me, I will probably run home and eat cake then crawl under my bed and suck my thumb. Then eat more cake.

So now I run.  I’m not the fastest runner, but I’ve come a long way in my 43 years because I participate anyways.  I know I’m not the best, or anywhere close to it, but I still try.  I enjoy the camaraderie of the other runners too.  We cheer each other on like we’re Olympians.  I actually have two 3rd place trophies for races that I’ve participated in (and there were more than three women in my categories, so I actually did have to compete for them).  I have already signed up for a half-marathon in April and a Warrior Dash in June. (www.warriordash.com) I’m not that little girl who hides anymore.  I love to run and play now!

My sweet daughter, Jami, plays softball and loves it!  Right now she is playing basketball and likes that too.  I am really encouraging cross country in the fall because, of course, running is MY favorite.  Jami can do whatever she wants, but my only request is that she tries things.  I think Jami will be a great cross country runner and I can’t wait to cheer her on in the fall.

I wish I would have participated in sports as a kid for many reasons including the competitive aspects and learning to push through the hurt.  In my career (sales), having a little competitive edge is good.  It pushes me.  I’m not psycho about it, but in sales it goes with the job and is expected to some degree.  In other things like divorce and running, a little pain makes you a little bit tougher! Like sports, it’s good to learn to push through the hurt.  I hope that makes sense.

I love this:

                                                                                                                         
Even though I’m not the fat kid anymore, I still eat cake.  Just not as often.

1 comment: